Additional prescribing authorization
Am I ready to apply for additional prescribing authorization?
Pharmacists in good standing on the clinical register may apply for additional prescribing authorization after meeting these criteria:
- Have at least one year of full-time experience in direct patient care while on the clinical pharmacist register.
- Have strong collaborative relationships with other regulated health professionals.
- Have and maintain the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes and clinical judgment to enhance patient care.
- Have the required supports in his/her practice (e.g., access to information, communication, documentation processes) to enable safe and effective management of drug therapy.
How are applications evaluated?
Applications are evaluated by pharmacists who are trained to use an objective criterion-referenced assessment tool. Applicants that meet or exceed the minimum standard on review will receive authorization from the registrar to prescribe Schedule 1 drugs in accordance with Sections 16 (3) and 16(4) of the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Profession Regulation.
Will I receive a new practice permit?
If successful, authorization in writing and an updated practice permit will be sent to you in writing. Pharmacists must receive a new practice permit reflecting additional prescribing authorization from the college prior to prescribing to manage or initiate drug therapy.
How do I renew my additional prescribing authorization?
Renewal of your additional prescribing authorization will be automatic with the renewal of your practice permit if you meet all other requirements of practice permit renewal.
I want to apply for additional prescribing authorization!
View the Guide to Receiving Additional Prescribing Authorization to learn more about the application process and to print the self-assessment and application forms.
Assessment fee: $350 + GST ($367.50)
Re-assessment fee: $225 + GST ($236.25)
If paying by credit card, please complete and include the credit card auth form.
NOTE: Your submission must include:
- 2 identical copies of the application form, and
- 2 identical copies of each of the three patient cases