Ethics & Jurisprudence Exam
What is the Ethics & Jurisprudence exam?
The Ethics & Jurisprudence exam is an entry to practice requirement for registration as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician in Alberta. You must complete the exam no more than two years before submitting the final application for registration as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician in Alberta.
The Ethics & Jurisprudence exam tests your abilities to
- remember foundational aspects of pharmacy legislation in Alberta,
- understand key concepts set out in ACP’s standards of practice and code of ethics, and
- apply procedural knowledge essential to the safe and effective practice of an entry-level pharmacist or pharmacy technician.
Exam quick facts
The exam is
- composed of 100 multiple choice questions,
- held in approved testing centres throughout Alberta,
- in electronic format,
- two hours in length, and
- closed-book (no reference materials allowed).
Exam results are valid two years from the date of completion of the exam.
How to register for the exam
- Once you have registered as a provisional pharmacist or pharmacy technician, ACP will issue you a user ID and password to enter the exam booking site.
- There are no set exam dates; using the booking site, choose a test centre and three dates that fit your schedule (Monday to Friday).
- Test centres are available throughout Alberta and select sites in other Canadian provinces.
- Please allow a minimum of three business days to confirm exam bookings in Alberta and a minimum of seven business days for exam bookings outside of Alberta.
- You will receive exam confirmation and exam day instructions by email.
- The cost of your first attempt at the exam is included in the ACP registration fee.
- There is a fee for additional attempts, which you will be prompted to pay online at the testing centre.
- An additional fee of $42 applies if you are writing the exam from outside of Alberta.
Exam day requirements
To write the exam, you must bring
- at least one piece of government issued photo identification;
- your ACP user ID and password (the same ones used to book the exam);
- a copy of your exam confirmation email (printed or electronic); and
- a Visa or Mastercard to pay the additional fee, if writing the exam outside of Alberta.
Preparing for the exam
We recommend that you
- review ACP's jurisprudence learning module,
- complete the online testing system tutorial and jurisprudence exam practice test,
- become familiar and comfortable with the testing system before taking the exam, and
- refer to the Ethics and jurisprudence exam study guide - pharmacists & pharmacy technicians (PDF)
What happens next?
Within three hours of completing the exam, you'll receive your results via email.
780-990-0321 or toll-free at 1-877-227-3838