CAMH Opioid Dependence Treatment Core Course (online)
This Opioid Dependence Treatment Core Course is the foundation of the Opioid Dependence Treatment Certificate Program. In this core course physicians, nurses, pharmacists and counsellors/case managers learn skills and review guidelines for effective and safe management of clients receiving methadone or buprenorphine maintenance treatment for opioid dependence. The course is designed to promote interprofessional collaboration among the health care team involved in opioid dependence treatment.
The intent of the course is for learners to:
- explain the pharmacology of opiates and how they affect the brain
- assess patients for opioid dependence based on the DSM-IV and DSM-V criteria
- differentiate abstinence based treatment and withdrawal management from methadone and buprenorphine maintenance treatment
- decide on the appropriate treatment modality for the opioid-dependent client
- implement safe prescribing, dosing, and dispensing of methadone and buprenorphine
- incorporate urine drug testing into opioid maintenance treatment program
- include counselling and case management in methadone and buprenorphine maintenance treatment
- demonstrate interprofessional collaboration when providing opioid dependence treatment with methadone and buprenorphine
For more information, view the course brochure.