Filing a complaint

The Alberta College of Pharmacists responds to concerns about:
  • a pharmacist’s or pharmacy technician's practice, or
  • a pharmacy's operations.

Filing a complaint

The Health Professions Act requires that complaints be submitted in writing and signed. You may send a letter, fax, or submit your complaint on our Complaint Reporting Form.

  1. Obtain a copy of the Complaint Reporting Form by calling the college office at 1-877-227-3838 or 780-990-0321.
  2. Send your completed, dated, and signed report to:

    Complaints Department
    Alberta College of Pharmacists
    1100-8215 112 St. NW
    Edmonton, AB   T6G 2C8

The Complaints Director will review your written statement. If necessary, the Complaints Director will appoint a preliminary investigator to look into the allegations

You will receive correspondence from the Complaints Director to inform you of the decision concerning your complaint.

Complaints review process

When the Complaints Director receives a written complaint, he may:

  • encourage the complainant and the investigated person to communicate with each other and resolve the complaint;
  • attempt to resolve the complaint (with the consent of the complainant and the investigated person);
  • refer the complaint to an alternative complaint resolution process;
  • request an expert to assess and provide a written report on the subject matter of the complaint;
  • conduct, or appoint an investigator to conduct an investigation;
  • dismiss the complaint, if satisfied that it is trivial or vexatious; or
  • dismiss the complaint, if satisfied that there is insufficient or no evidence of unprofessional conduct.

If a complaint is investigated:

Once the investigation is complete, the Complaints Director decides whether a complaint should be dismissed or referred for a hearing.

If alternative complaint resolution is used:

When alternative complaint resolution is used, the complaint is either successfully resolved through mediation or is referred back to the Complaints Director for resolution.


Yes, your complaint, including your name, is shared with the pharmacist or pharmacy technician so that the he or she can respond.
No, you cannot be sued for filing a complaint; however, divulging details of your complaint to others in writing or verbally may constitute libel or slander, placing you at risk for legal action.
No. If financial compensation is your objective, you should obtain the advice of a lawyer and consider filing a civil law suit.
There is no set time limit. The length of the investigation tends to vary with the complexity of the complaint. Some complaints can be handled very quickly, others take months. Some complaints take over a year to resolve.
If you have a question or concern about the fairness of how your complaint was handled, you may contact the Alberta Ombudsman Office:

The Alberta Ombudsman
2800, 10303 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB  T5J 5C3

ACP Complaints Resolution contact information

Alberta College of Pharmacists
1100-8215 112 St. NW
Edmonton, AB   T6G 2C8

Phone: 780-990-0321
Toll Free: 1-877-227-3838
Fax: 780-990-0328